Did you know that Medicare and Medicaid are no longer reimbursing for “never events” that happen in hospitals?
What are never events?
- 1. Vascular catheter-associated bloodstream infections
- 2. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections
- 3. Mediastintis after coronary artery bypass surgery
- 4. Surgical site infections after bariatric surgery
- 5. Surgical site infections following spine, neck, shoulder, or elbow surgery
- 6. Deep venous thrombosis or pulmonary embolism following hip or knee replacement
- 7. Foreign body retained after surgery
- 8. Air embolism
- 9. Blood incompatibility
- 10. Stage III and IV pressure ulcers
- 11. Manifestations of poor glycemic control
What does this mean to a consumer of medical services? We at the Bailey and Oliver law firm are watching this as it develops.